Saturday, January 26, 2013

Be There Now

Sitting in my cramped, uncomfortable aisle seat, for which I paid British Airways an extra $50, I often thought that I no longer want to "be here now."

No, I'd rather "be there now."

Three airline flights, two of them at least eight-hours long, two 4-5 hour airport layovers and the crossing of umpteen time zones will leave anyone wanting to be "there" instead of "here."

All of that was quickly forgotten by:

* meeting the beautiful, calm presence of Gurnam Singh, Craig Bell's local tour guide, waiting for me outside the airport.

* getting some sleep

* a hot shower and, with perfect timing (after I had dressed and gotten myself in some kind of order), a welcome phone call from Craig asking if I'd like to meet him for breakfast, then hearing his gentle tap on the door a few minutes later.

I really have nothing to complain about.  All of my flights were on time, everyone I met, from airport security personnel, to airport shopkeepers, to the friendly Indian woman seated next to me, who kept talking to me even though she knew that I didn't understand her language, were friendly and pleasant.  She talked, laughed, and gestured and I smiled and nodded, not understanding a word but somehow managing to help her fill out the arrivals card, showing her where to put her flight and passport numbers.  Before we left the plane she showed a photo of the new granddaughter she had been visiting in Edinburgh, Scotland.  I can only imagine how she managed the Scottish accents before her family came to collect her.

More about my first impressions next time. I really must try to get back to sleep.  We begin a full day of sightseeing in a few hours.  The other good news is that I found the wall switch for the space heater (under the counter) so I can get out of the sleeping bag.  About two hours ago the penny finally dropped and it dawned on me that a wall switch controls the heater's on/off not the switch on the heater itself.   Silly me.  Last night I slept in my vest and light jacket inside the sleeping bag, which I had under the sheets. Nice to know that the bag has already come in handy.

8 comments:

Cheryl Hagar said...

Gosh, I almost feel like I'm there with you but not!

Anonymous said...

Dear Brenda, thank you SO much, you're helping me get over my "missing India like crazy" feeling that I've had since we came home earlier this week. I know you are going to love your entire exprience and I'm looking forward to reading your blog as you progress through your journey. Please give our love to Craig and say Hi to Dan Mulholland for me once he gets there. Lots of love, Maria

Anonymous said...

Wow! I need a geography lesson -I thought India had basically 2 seasons/temps: hot and hotter. Never would have occurred to me you would have to sleep wrapped up in a sleeping bag. But, SO glad you found out how to get/keep warm. It makes sightseeing a lot more fun when you're not dog tired from lack of sleep, no matter how much love and bliss is going on.
Reading your posts is wonderful - keep them up as long as possible!
Peace, love and light ~ S & S

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Its in fact amazing paragraph, I have got much clear idea regarding from this post.


my blog post Ros24j8bdu.ontheroad.to

Anonymous said...

Wow! Αftеr all I got а
blog from ωhere I be capable оf truly obtaіn
uѕeful informаtiоn regагԁing my ѕtudy anԁ knowledge.



Feеl free to ѕurf tο mу blog poѕt .
.. Augen Lasern

Brenda said...

Someone asked about the blog platform I use. It's Google Blogger.

Anonymous said...

It is not my first time to go to see this web site, i am
browsing this web site dailly and get pleasant facts
from here every day.

Visit my site weight loss meal plans

Anonymous said...

Ahaa, its good conversation on the topic of this paragraph here at this website, I have read all
that, so at this time me also commenting here.

my blog post - can i find garcinia cambogia in stores