Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Where's the Sun?


After three days spent hibernating at home avoiding the rain, 
the cold, and last minute Christmas shoppers I woke up with a 
definite case of cabin fever.  However, since it was still 
rainy and cold out and I in no way wanted to encounter
the hoards of after-Christmas bargain hunters I decided
to remain indoors again.


My first ploy against the gloomy day was to ensconce myself
on the sofa with hot tea, books, and the sketch pad.
However, after awhile I tired of reading and was ready 
for some watching.



So I resorted to Plan B:
a moody British mystery on Netflix and a cozy
gas log fire (the only kind of logs that I can keep burning).
Thanks to streaming technology I was able to queue up
a sufficiently moody Ruth Rendell mystery complete
with an overwrought Colin Firth portraying a strangely
 mad moor killer.


As only the British can do, they managed to drag this 
story on for three episodes.  With that much time on my 
hands and with such a slow moving plot I decided to get out 
the tax papers and get started on organizing them and
doing a financial snapshot by reviewing the past year's
credit card statements and the bank registers.
As always, it's a rather onerous task.


After spending all day yesterday with a calculator I decided this
morning to find an easy software solution to track my spending.  I've
tried Quicken and find that it's a real pain and overly complicated
for my needs.

Then, I happened on "the Birdy"
(www.thebirdy.com), a simple, free website service
that allows you to input your spending and will 
categorize and track it for you.  They will even send
you a daily email reminding you to input any purchases.
There's also the usual smartphone app so I can track my
spending on the go.

My New Year's toast:  to better habits and less spending.
Perhaps with less consuming I'll spend more time meditating.
Ommm . . . . . . . . .

4 comments:

Karen Crisp said...

You are toooo funny, Brenda! I'm planning to spend some of your money tomorrow when we hit the antique stores! Tee-hee!! No more cabin fever tomorrow!! YEA!!

Anonymous said...

I like the British mysteries and trapped on the couch under a blanket. It helps re build the soul......

Brenda said...

Oh, thank you for another wonderful justification for my sofa time.

jennifer black said...

Thanks for the link! Hope you got something good when you went antiquing (Laverty's?). ;-)