Monday, October 14, 2013

I Don't Know Anything . . . But

Moon over Glacier Bay, Alaska

Yesterday, after meditation, the conversation turned to those unresolvable, eternal questions having to do with faith, doubt, and suffering.
I don't know that God exists.
I don't know that God doesn't exist.
I don't know why there's suffering or why the whole system of creation exists.

Yes, I've read the masters and the speculators and considered various explanations. But, I don't know.  I haven't had that consciousness-changing realization that explains all things, that makes all things bearable.

But, I do feel.  And when quietude, nature, meditation, love, whatever trigger it happens to be, takes me to another level of being, no matter how fleetingly, then I believe. Then, I have faith that somehow all of this is not only necessary but is good, too.


I'll close with the words of one of the great mystics, Julian of Norwich, set to music by 
Meg Barnhouse.  (Click the link below.)



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kadbd3tCqc


2 comments:

Karen Crisp said...

Oh, Brenda, this musing is powerful and touches me deeply. And the music is stunning and so beautifully illustrates your point. We all can learn much sitting at the feet (or holding the hand!) of that great mystic, Julian of Norwich, just as we can learn much from YOU and your journey. Please share more!! BTW, I love what you said about FEELING. When we truly connect with the feeling/emotion of Divine Love, we can't help but KNOW, even while sitting in the Mystery of NOT KNOWING. You, my dear friend, truly do KNOW. As Suzanne Stabile of Enneagram workshops/Life in the Trinity Ministry renown often says in her workshops, when you come to some realization: "You know that you know that you know that you know ...." :)

Brenda said...

Oh, Karen, you are such a sweet and loving friend. Thank you for your kind words. They encourage me in more ways than you know. I'm so very fortunate to have such a friend on the journey Home.