Monday, September 26, 2011

'True Choices' and Being a Snob


Last week in the Sept. 18, 2011 issue of Parade
http://www.parade.com/celebrity/2011/09/inside-brad-pitt-world.html  Brad Pitt was asked, "Are you a happy man?"  Part of his reply was, "I put much more emphasis on being a satisfied man. . . .  I'm satisfied with making true choices . . . . " (emphasis added).  I've been thinking about that phrase, 'true choices,' ever since.  

Since I'm retired I have a lot of free, unscheduled time. However, I find that if I'm not careful I'll squander that gift with running errands, too many social engagements, too much TV (British mysteries on Netflix Streaming is my current fav), and other, in the grand scheme of life, relatively useless & unremarkable activities.  For example, today, the start of a lovely, fresh new week, I would like to attend a sale at a local business that will be closing its doors.  The seductive draw is the opportunity to buy store fixtures, such as shelving and other items, at a deep discount.  Also, on my wish list of activities is cleaning out and organizing my tool drawers so that I'll be able to find things and eliminate excess clutter. (I'll really want that activity noted in my obituary. Brenda was noted for her wonderfully organized home.)  

And, then there's this continual item on the To Do list: organize & clean up my thousands of photo files on the computer.  Oh, and what about my spiritual routine?  You know that going within bit and the gaining of wisdom and understanding.  And, of course, there's that other ever present To Do list item: exercise.  How many of these things are 'true choices' in the sense I've come to understand it, which is, 'is it a choice that will have a lasting, soul benefit?"  For those of us who believe in reincarnation, the only things we can take into another life are soul qualities and habits.  Hmmm . . . my habit is to attend sales, run errands, and organize my tool drawer.  Not exactly a pursuit of the good, the true, and the beautiful.

So, thank you, Brad Pitt and Parade, for bringing me up short and helping me to re-prioritize my time.  Who knew, and this is where the 'being a snob' comes in, that reading a fluff celebrity interview in a fluff Sunday newspaper insert would lead to such profound thinking?  Off to the meditation chair now.  Ommmmm . . . .






1 comment:

Karen Crisp said...

Just delightful, Brenda! But knowing you, you'll find a way to get your Soul work done AND still get your photos and tools organized. :)