Friday, October 14, 2011

Day Ten


First Meal

Well, it's finally Day 10 of the Reboot, where for the 
past ten days I ate no solid food, only highly
nutritious smoothies.  Afternoons were the hardest.
I craved something, anything crunchy.  I just wanted
a handfull of walnuts or pecans but I knew if I 
started I'd eat the whole bag.

I'd fix another smoothie and try to fill myself up.
My second strategy was to go to bed early.  
Invariably, when I woke up I would be ready to
face another day of smoothies and no solid food.

Results

The Good News: I lost 3 1/2 lbs., changed my
taste buds, increased my energy, and detoxed from
Fioricet, a pain reliever for migraines.

The Bad News:  I still have migraines.  In fact, I awoke
at 3am today with one.  I tried not to take the Zomig
tablet (the really high-powered migraine reliever) but by
7:30am I knew that if I was going to have a usable day
I had to take something.  I don't think that this pill is
quite as susceptible to triggering rebound headaches.

I had headaches almost everyday, some of them 
manageable and two so painful that I needed a
Zomig if I was going to have a usable day. 
  When I didn't have a migraine I definitely felt more 
energetic, even on the days 
when I had mild headaches.

The Other News:  I found out during a treatment with
Jamie Graham, a local acupuncture practitioner, that my
top two vertebrae might be out of alignment.  In other words:
My head's not screwed on straight!  Needless to say,
my sister had great fun with that news.  I'll be following
up on this since it could be the cause of the migraines.

The Take Away

I would definitely recommend the Reboot Program as
mentioned on the website: http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/.  
And, I will probably do a short 3-5 day Smoothie Fast every 
couple of months to keep me on track with healthy eating,
especially since the holidays are coming.  

2 comments:

jennifer black said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I must say that the salad above looks y.u.m.m.y.

I hope the spine issue is fixable--and will fix your headaches, too. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

Karen Crisp said...

You continue to be my inspiration! Haven't yet gone to a full smoothie-only day, but am experimenting with raw fruit smoothies (YUM!!) and raw veggie smoothies (am working on the YUM-ness part of them:).

Veggie smoothies are getting tastier with each experimentation. Looking forward to doing an extended smoothie-fast when the calendar allows for it -- SOON!

I'd like to pre-order a salad exactly like the one pictured above for the day I come off of it! And you try to convince your friends you can't "cook." Ha! You're a master smoothie chef and now a gourmet salad-maker. You need to consider a cookbook in your future. :)