Monday, October 17, 2011

Cleaning Up


. . . my part of the world.  The Internet is full of "Do One Thing" sites; do
one thing to fight cancer; do one thing to alleviate homelessness; do one
thing for the environment.  Well, this is my one thing: picking up the 
trash in my neighborhood, or wherever I happen to be.

It's a perfect activity for my personality type.
It's solitary, self-motivated, and self-sustaining.  No groups or
organizations are required.  It's the perfect hermit activity.

Lots of sun and fresh air.

The results of my efforts are immediate.  No ten-year plans necessary.

It's a wonderful moving meditation, leaving me plenty of time to practice
a mantra, introspect, or just be in the present.

Since I'm low to the ground and not whizzing by in a car I've been able
to spot wildflowers as they first spring up.

And, if I use my left hand with the trash picker I'm giving my brain a 
workout by using my non-dominant hand.
Tools of the Trade


Final Step  -- Separating the recyclables



. . . and pulling out the found objects.
All in all, a lovely morning activity.

1 comment:

Karen Crisp said...

B ~ You definitely have the best eye for trash of any friend I know. :) Seriously, I admmire you and what you're doing on a daily, consistent basis to keep Mother Earth clean. We should all emulate you and your faithfulness, as we benefit from your example. I'm going to try to become more trash-observant. Kuddos to you, my friend!