Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Dog Collage


Beware of casual promises.  You know, when you say, without thinking, 'I'll do that' or 'sure, I'll go with you.'  Several years ago I casually promised my sister a dog-themed collage.  No problem.  Piece of cake.

Oops, it quickly became a problem:  how to incorporate images of her 8 dogs? What would the organizing principle be?  How to get over the fear of doing something, like a 3D collage, that I'd never done before? 

Finally, being assured by my sister that she would love whatever I came up with and deciding to do a generic dog collage instead of one that incorporated images of her dogs the pressure is released and the fun begins.


Now, what to do with all of this space?


Playing around with found objects.


"Dogs are Forever Friends"
It took several days of playing around with various letters and
layouts before being able to commit to gluing them down permanently.


Getting closer, but how to attach the large 3D items, 
especially the wire dress form?


Lowe's to the rescue.
I found this dark, vintage looking attachment
device in their hardware department.


In Praise of Excess
While getting a pan to make oatmeal one morning I found 
these two galvanized metal nameplates.  Perfect for the collage.
Sometimes having too much stuff works.


Finished!!!

September 22, 2011 the long-awaited dog collage
is delivered and installed in my sister's house.



5 comments:

jennifer black said...

Love it! And I'll bet it's so great to be finished. ;-)

Suzanne Baldon said...

Super fantastic, Brenda!!!

Karen Crisp said...

Beautiful work, Brenda! Can't wait for you to lead me by the hand to walk me through a similar process to get that stairway altar project done for the garage apt. :) I envision some fun artsy times ahead!

Rayna said...

How creative! I was especially taken with your use of the outlet plate; never would have thought of that...

kass said...

Does one have to visit Janel's home to see this beautiful workmanship up close ? Sorry, eyes are getting older and can't see the nuances from this distance. Other than that -- love your beginning slogan and Rayna's so right about the outlet plate. Really cool idea.