Thursday, January 12, 2012

Create Daily

(Following Jane LaFazio's tip about learning to sketch outdoors.)
As I've mentioned to some of you, I signed up for two online creative
courses, both of which started this month.  The first one is
Create Daily by Alisa Burke

It's been a fun class and, so far, I've been able to keep up.  The premise
is that Alisa will give us a creative prompt each day and then we 
work on it as best we can and upload our results to a class 
Flickr group.  The prompts range from fairly easy things like 
look for inspiration in common places such as at the grocery store or
while taking a walk in the neighborhood to harder things, for me, 
like creating abstract art.  I'm finding that a loose style is harder
for me to accomplish than I thought.

Here are some of the results.

Day 1 - Organize your work space.
Been there.  Done that.  Always a
work in progress.
 Day 2 - Hunt and Gather
We were to find odd objects to create
 with.  I chose Post-It notes, a found 
washer, a highlighter pen, and
packing tape to hold it all down.


Day 3 - Use a Ball Point Pen
The prompt was to use a ball point pen for doodling.
The doodling was so much fun I did another one
this time with felt tips.

Day 4 - Play with Your Food


Day 5 - Go for a Walk
This day was so busy that the only walk 
I could manage was to the mailbox.   
I used the paving pattern for inspiration.





Day 6 - Explore Abstraction
My least favorite piece.





Day 7 - Play with Drips

Day 8 - Look Down
The caption says it all.

Day 9 - Time Management
This was a day off from having to create something 
so I just did something easy and playful.

Day 10 - Cook with Fresh Eyes

Day 11 - Doodles with Borders
My inspiration pieces: a Crate & Barrel
catalog, book cover, napkin, and the
inside of a Yogi Tea box.

My other class is Dave Fox's 
Globejotting: How to Write Extraordinary Travel Tales

It just started Tuesday and already I have writer's block!
The funny thing about taking Alisa's Sketchbook Delight
class and now this Create Daily class is that what used
to be hard for me, drawing and watercolor, is now not
only easy but also pleasurable.  That's because most of what 
I draw now is starting actually to look like what I was 
attempting to draw.

And what used to be easy for me, writing, is now harder.
I'm a bit intimidated by having a professional writer critique
my work.  But having learned from Alisa's classes I know
that the more I write the better and faster it will be. 

Loving the Internet and my home creative space.

2 comments:

jennifer black said...

Awesome work! Wow. Now I can't wait to read more of your writing too.

Anonymous said...

beautiful pictures! I think I could live in the doodles with borders....coloful yet relaxing! Angela