Saturday, May 26, 2012

Waterproof Blue & Time

New waterproof cast

. . . are two of my new favorite things.  The healing process works like magic.  With little input from me, other than following the doctor's orders, eating healthy food and exercising, my wrist is getting better each day.  The waterproof cast is well worth the extra $35 that insurance won't cover.  Showering is much easier and running water down the cast sloughs off the dead skin cells, which are what cause itching.

The swelling and pain are reduced and my fingers have more mobility.  Dealing with packaging is still awkward & at times frustrating but still quite manageable.
More finger mobility allows me to do fun things, like eat popcorn.
And I'm learning all sorts of new ways to use elbows, hips, and shoulders to get things done.
Until medicine gets to the Star Trek level of healing with a light probe I can't complain.  
My Gratitude Journal is full.
* The break was on my left wrist, not my dominant hand.
* No surgery was required.
* The cast should be off before Janel & I go to Michigan in June.
* The pain has been manageable.
* Pain meds are available! 
* Waterproof casts are now an option.
* This has been another needed reminder to slow down & be mindfull.

If you have to break something this is 
one of the better ways to do it.

2 comments:

Karen Crisp said...

What a creative post! Thanks for sharing the "up" side of a broken wrist and reminding us of the ever-present invitation to slow down and be more mindful. But please, Brenda! ... Next time you feel the urge to break something ~ break into some chocolate or break away w/ me to some fun retreat! Happy healing!

Rayna said...

Enjoyed reading this. You're doing so well! Happy healing!