Saturday, March 8, 2014

Out of My Comfort Zone!

Some dear, wonderful friends have invited me to join them for a visit at their new condo on Molokai!!!!!  I don't know how I've attracted such great friends but I'm running with it.  Earlier this week Karen asked me if I was excited about visiting Hawai'i and I played it cool and said, 'yeah, I'm looking forward to it.'   No, no, no, I am absolutely, totally, profoundly excited about doing my first ever sunny island trip.  Can you tell?  I've already started packing, and reading, about Hawai'i weeks in advance.  Got to get the books, don't ya know.  For Enneagram Fives, it's all about the information.  Thankfully, I also have just enough relational skills to warrant friends asking me to spend time with them.


This kind of trip is quite foreign to me and way out of my comfort zone.  I'm not a beach, swimsuit, sandal and shorts kind of gal.  I'm the person in hot, humid Central Texas who spends the summer in long pants and lace up sneakers.  Ever since a childhood trauma sent me squalling to the ER I've never liked to have my toes exposed.  After a glider ripped off my big toenail, I've protected those little guys with soft socks and comfy, fully-enclosed shoes.  It's just in the past few years that I've ventured into Keen and Teva sandals with an open weave but closed toes.  However, as you can see, I'm not only sporting open, slip on sandals, but also shorts and the requisite Hawaiian shirt.  

My legs hardly ever see the sunlight but in a couple of weeks they will.  And, we won't even 'go there' regarding swimsuits.  Some bodies just look best fully clothed.  I am taking a swimsuit but it will be no From Here to Eternity or Beach Blanket Bingo moment.  Not being able to see without my prescription glasses takes the fun out of water sports, but I'm sure that I'll enjoy the surf even though it's just a blur.
So, with a fully loaded Kindle, a few hard copy books, sunscreen and a couple of Hawaiian shirts I'm ready for the adventure.  Let the great Comfort Zone Expansion begin!

Oh, and Karen, don't gasp at the amount and size of the luggage.  I plan to take very few clothes, knowing that there just might be a seductive boutique that I have to explore.  Can't travel without picking up a few tchotchkes to remember the trip. 

a hui hou (till we meet again) 



6 comments:

Karen Crisp said...

You are SO stylin' w/ your Hawaiian duds!! You won't believe how COOL you'll be in shorts, swimsuit & sandals. You're gonna love, love, love getting this far out of your comfort zone! Darrell says to be sure to include a book on Hawaiian pidgin to take to the "Mobettah" Island! Hana Hou!! :)

Brenda said...

K'Den. Mahalo.

Sai said...

Hi Brenda: You will feel very close to Universe, you don't want to come back.

Do not know which islands you are visiting, there is a great Siva temple in Kauai

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/monastery/about

Have a great trip

Sai

Brenda said...

Hi Sai,
Thanks for your comment and the link to Kauai's Hindu Monastery. It looks like heaven! I'll be staying on Molokai and visiting Maui. It's my first time to Hawaii but I already know that I'll want to return and explore the other islands. I'll definitely try to return the next time the SRF monastics conduct a retreat.

Anonymous said...

I'm turning green and it's NOT a good color for me. Love the new sandals / shirts too - the black one's my fave. This will be so much more sanative than risking typhoid in India. And you don't even have to change the currency ! Have a great time. -kass

jennifer black said...

Have a great time (or I hope you had a great time if you've already gone!). Can't wait to see you hiking in shorts. :-)