Saturday, February 8, 2014

Structured Procrastination

   So that's what I've been doing all this time!  I just thought that I was ADD or lacked the discipline to stay on task.  But, no, by ignoring my To Do list and usual morning routine I'm actually getting things done, other things, to be sure, but completion of tasks is being accomplished.

By avoiding book group reading, exercising (never difficult for me to ignore), and cleaning the kitchen I've finished the tax prep, paid bills, and balanced the checkbook.  Don't ask me why such dull and unpleasant tasks all of a sudden seem more compelling than reading a book in front of the fire.  Perhaps, because lately these are the items that I've become obsessed with getting off the desk, their presence eating away at my peace of mind. 

It's always a pleasure when university experts, this one from Stanford, no less, puts a name to and writes books about something our Puritan forefathers would consider a sin.  Of course, I heard about this concept multitasking with an audio book, nowadays, is another big sin.  Despite the current brain research demonstrating the ineffectiveness of multitasking, I still find it strangely compelling with regard to books.  Plus, my bookshelves are cluttered enough.  I find it much better to listen to a book while dressing or emptying the dishwasher than to do those things by themselves.  I can hear the mindfulness experts screaming in the "you're not doing it right" part of my brain.  In our age of information overload, it's good to  defy the "experts" occasionally with a little stab of personal freedom.


The one flaw in this justification is that I also put off my morning meditation, which sets not only the tone of the my day but of my life.  My lame excuse is that I have a headache and doing Kriya with a headache is decidedly unpleasant.  Also, I reason, falsely I'm sure, that I will meditate more deeply later, after I clear my mind and desk of the clutter of unfinished tasks.  And, sometimes a later meditation is better. 

If you, too, would like to get more things done by ignoring the things you "should" be doing, try visiting the link below.  Or, you could get the audio book and have fun thumbing your nose at the mindfulness experts. 




1 comment:

Karen Crisp said...

For a supposed "procrastinator," sure seems to me you get an awful lot done! One recommendation: just look at the change in routine as being "creative" in how you're structuring your morning/day. Creative is good!