Monday, March 10, 2014

Who knew?

That wondering about the outcome of a college basketball game would almost ruin a good meditation.  I wait all week for the chance to enjoy the power and deep vibrations of a group meditation and then I almost let my distracted thoughts destroy it.  All because the Baylor Lady Bears basketball team is fighting a heart-stopping semi-final game with Oklahoma State, at the same time as our weekly meditation.  My sister kindly texted me the results (65-61 Baylor).  I'm looking forward to watching the last half of the game, which so rudely interrupted my meditative afternoon.

My sister and I are the last people anyone would think of as being rabid fans of any athletic endeavor, both of us having been total washouts in high school P.E. classes.  Thankfully, we  found ways to get the essential P.E. credits to escape the prison of high school.

Now, I'm not only reading the sports page(!) but also reading sports autobiographies.  And, next year, instead of sponging off my sister's extra season tickets, I'll buy my own, and the Women's Tip-Off Club membership.  Clearly, I've "drunk the Kool-aid."
This game marked Mulkey's 400-win milestone.  
I'm starting to understand how and why sports can be a life-saver for so many young people. Reading about how a good coach, like Kim Mulkey, can inspire confidence and channel competitiveness into a cooperative team effort is not only informative but inspiring. For example, after subbing out one player who all season was reluctant to shoot and not making any of her attempts in this crucial game, instead of berating her and eroding a player's fragile confidence, Coach Mulkey assured her with instructions to "keep shooting the ball with confidence." She is truly developing in these diversely talented young people essential and noble life skills.  College and professional sports can be too filled with money and oversized egos but, at least, Coach Mulkey is doing the right thing in our part of the world. 

But, it's not just the fun of watching a winning team or reading about a coach's philosophy that makes this new obsession so fun.  It's also that it gives my sister and me something we can do together.  We have such different personalities and interests that when we do find an intersection it makes for some fun "sister time."  So here's to athletics and family bonding!

Go, Lady Bears!  
All the best tonight in the final with West Virginia tonight.

2 comments:

Karen Crisp said...

Sic 'em, Brenda!!! You go, girl! The Lady Bear BB team can be nothing but enhanced by your & Janelle's support! Yea for the team, & yea for sisterhood bonding!! :)

Janel Griffey said...

Awesome post Brenda! I,too, enjoy the 'sister bonding', and I am so happy that you gave the Lady Bears a chance!! I'm sending this to Janice so she can share it with coach Kim and Bill. SIC EM LADY BEARS!!!!