Saturday, September 29, 2012

Of Simplicity & Art

In a continuing effort to simplify my life I hit upon the idea of transforming my bird feeding post into an art hanging post.  The yard is full of yaupon berries and numerous fountains so the birds in my area will never lack for food or drink.





 
Since the birds have all that they need it was time to repurpose my lovely bird feeding area.  And, what better way to start the repurposing project then to attend Waco's Cultural Arts Fest.  
It's interesting how the mind can so calmly hold two disparate notions: simplifying, which usually means the giving up or letting go of something and shopping, which is not a giving up or letting go activity.

Actually, this simplifying project does have some merit since it means not having to buy bird feed, keep the feeders full, and clean out the gunk that accumulates at the bottom of them.  Instead of those activities I will be able simply to watch the light and wind play with the hanging art.

Off to the Arts Fest, where I saw Jody King, one of my favorite artists.  Here's a sampling of her current work.
I visited with Paul and Suzanne, who were helping children create funny hats.
And, then I got down to the serious business of shopping. 
The results speak for themselves.
The outdoor glass work is from Cindy Radle, an artist from Wemberly, Texas.
Cindy had lots of lovely rain catchers such as this one.
This piece adds some wonderful color to a rather monotone backyard.


The repurposing continued as I reworked a wall niche with some of Kath Longs' Raku pottery pieces.
Another wall also got an art update.

All in all, the simplifying effort went quite well.

                                                                                          

1 comment:

Karen Crisp said...

You are SO creative! Love this idea!