Friday, November 2, 2012

The Peace of Stillness

Meditation can often be frustrating.  

With all of the conceptions and misconceptions that the mind puts on the process of quieting the body and stilling the mind it's a wonder that anybody does it.

But . . . when the mind gets out of the way and you enter that still point of consciousness you know why men and women in all ages and all cultures have persevered. 

And for a moment, you experience that peace that truly does "passeth all understanding."

And so it has been for me when I've met with the local Zen sitting group.  With no pressure of having to facilitate, I can simply come in, greet my fellow interior travelers, and sit down facing the wall for a blissful 25 minutes of silence.

This peace has even carried over into my private meditations at home.

Thank you, Tom, for creating this haven of peace here in Waco.



1 comment:

Karen Crisp said...

Echoing your comments, Brenda. Yes to all your musings about meditation -- which can, indeed, be both frustrating and sublime. I enjoyed the one time I joined Tom's Zen sit, and hope to participate much more often in the future. Very grateful to have this additional opportunity to meditate communally. Thanks for this post. Photos are striking, too.